Running through the weekend

May 17, 2010
What a great weekend I shared with Chelsea!

On Saturday we ran a 5K to benefit the Hannah Wernke memorial foundation as a prelude to our half marathon on Sunday.  I went into this race with the mindset of it being a warm up, not to push myself and that I was doing it for the fundraiser not to break any personal records.  I had spent that last 4 days in pain from a Tuesday two a day work out and a Wednesday training with Milt.  I knew I had over done it and was really concerned about the upcoming marathon.  I was almost convinced that I shouldn't run the 5k as to not do any more damage.  But just before the race Chelsea and I did a couple practice laps around the track and all those places that my body had hurt earlier were not hurting while running, so I decided to go ahead with the 5K and just take it easy.


It was probably my first run that I can actually say was easy.  I took it slow and steady and felt good running the entire time.  I ended the run at a new unofficial PR of 32:30 and was pleased with my time.  Chelsea ended the race at an unofficial 28:10 (we are still awaiting the update on website). Chelsea won 2nd place for her age division!  I was so happy for her and of course proud of how far her running has come!


After a quick stop at Robeks for a smoothie we were on our way home to finish getting ready to head downtown for our pasta dinner and packet pick up for the half marathon. After dropping Zach and Emily at her house we were on our way...

Once downtown our first stop was at the expo to pick up our race packet and then we browsed through all the vendor displays. Chelsea found a pair of shoes and we both got these tanks from One more mile, a site that I ordered her a shirt for her birthday last year from.


Once we got our packet we decided to take the bus tour that would go over our route, and after the bus tour we wondered if that was a good idea because we now realized just what we got ourselves into! :)  We returned to the hotel and went to our pasta dinner where we met several other runners doing the half and 10K, carbed up and headed back out to walk around downtown.



After our walk around downtown we decided it was time to head back to our room and rest for the evening.  We were both still sore from our work outs earlier in the week, even with taking both Thursday and Friday off to rest.  We watched the movie hang over and fell asleep before 10pm.

At 5am we received a wake up call, Chelsea's alarm went off and Ben called.... we were sure to be up in time to get ready!  

Race post to follow....


Leave a Comment

Your Name:
Your Comment:

    No comments currently. Be the first to comment!

All Rights Reserved 2024, Unraveling My Heart the Write Way - Admin Login   |   Alt Media Studios